Consuming Fire- Tim Hughes
In all relationships there are highs and lows and seasons where we can become aloof, indifferent, dry and cold. Every now and again we need something to fan the flame again and remind us why our relationship was so special to us in the beginning, what drew us to that person and why they mean so much to us. There is no difference in our relationship with Christ.
With Him, our time to know Him, to learn how to live for Him and to walk in His ways comes from His Holy Word...therefore in order for us to draw close to Him, to know what He desires and discover His ways daily time with Him in His Word, pouring over scripture, meditating on what is says and personal and practical application is vital.
I'm not sure when it started, but recently I've been feeling like I'm just going through the motions in my quiet time, sometimes I don't even have a meaningful quiet or devo time with the Lord...it feels more like checking a box to be good with Him..but if we did that with our spouse, children and friends...they would be hurt and offended by us. So why is it that I think I can get away with that in my relationship with Jesus? Hmmm...so, this morning I awoke about 5am and even though I wanted to crawl back in bed, I was compelled to get my coffee, get my i-shuffle on and play worship music to focus my heart and mind on Christ and open up my Bible. I've had this new Bible since October...and it seriously needs some breaking in. I have read it, I take it to church, but it is nothing like my old Bible marked all over and falling apart. This Bible clearly needs more time devoted to it, read, studied, marked etc.
It's a John MacArthur study Bible so it has some really cool introductory notes and tips, helps and aides to encourage Bible study and how to do it, questions to ponder while reading and such. While reading the introduction notes, I cam across a fabulous description of what the Bible is...and man, oh man did that just fan the flame in me to want to start reading with passion, digging in and really breaking into this Bible! I feel like a total idiot not having read all this stuff before, but I am so glad that the Lord beckoned me this morning and pointed me in this direction. Then in the notes there was encouragement to start reading 1 John for New Testament reading and I read the whole book and it was such a wonderful reminder to me of Who Christ is, how because of His love for us, we love Him in return. I realized the Lord was telling me Johanna..I needed to really prompt you to come to me, point you in the direction of this passage and remind you that it's because of my love, my sacrifice and what I did on the cross that you loved me way back when and since you've been so distracted I thought I'd used John MacArthur's notes to point you to this passage!
Thank YOU LORD! Don't we have such a loving, personal and all knowing Savior? He knows what we need truly...that time with Him just gave me so much joy! Speaking of joy...here is a wonderful verse in 1 John 1:4
4 And we are writing these things so that our[a] joy may be complete. * 1 John 1:4
What John was saying was that the scriptures were written for us to read so that our joy may be complete! So truly the joy of our salvation is renewed, refueled and rekindled every time we read the word! It's imperative for us to read His word, even when we don't feel like it, are tired, think there are other things we need to do etc. We are the ones that miss out on experiencing true joy!! Joy that comes from communing with our Savior!
So today if you are feeling cold, drab, dry or distant...may I encourage you to pick up Your Bible, open it up, ask the Lord to speak to your heart and let Him remind you why you loved Him to begin with! I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed!!! I know I wasn't! :)
Thank you Johanna!!! Even though we are at different walks in life, it seems like you always seem to hit on target with what I'm going through!!! Thank you SO much for sharing. Love ya!
ReplyDeletePraise God Maria! I am so blessed to know that it encourages you! Looks like you aren't alone! :) Love you too!!
Delete