"Anyone, then who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins" *James 4:17
I've been reading through the book of James for a while, over and over and over again..this morning I read Ch. 4 and the very last verse stood out to me...which is the verse above. It got me thinking, what are things I should be doing, that I don't do...well, I think this ranges from personal decisions and actions to take and along more general lines, like following traffic laws or common sense courtesy when interacting with other people at the grocery store for example..There are times when I know I should stop obsessing over washing dishes, and go play with my son.. but I continue washing the dishes and make that more of a priority, when my son really wants to spend time with me. There are other times, when my husband wants me to spend time with him and I'm obsessing over laundry or some other chore. Truly, these things need to get done for the sake of maintaining order in the home, but when do we need to say right now I'm going to stop doing this, because my son, husband or other loved one really needs me right now. It's hard, it really is especially with certain personalities. I tend to be OCD about keeping things up..I like things in order, I like to have things in their place so I can find them, when I need them..but if my home is in order and my relationships are not, then I would dare say that in this case for me it would be sin to neglect my family for chores. This isn't some amazing new concept..I am sure I've read it in many other blogs or devotionals..but since today I read this particular passage and I pretty much was guilty of this very thing last night..it rang a bell. I don't know what your season of life may be..perhaps you are a stay at home mom, like me. Maybe you are a student or have a career in a specialized field or maybe you are in ministry full time or a missionary, teacher, active duty military etc. Whatever you find yourself doing, consider whether it's what you ought to do? Time cannot be returned..if we choose to spend it on things that don't matter over the people in our lives that do, that's something that cannot be undone. I pray the Lord will give you and me the discernment to choose what is best and to know what we ought to do, that we might not sin against Him and others.
Dear Jesus, I can be pretty foolish, stubborn and get caught up in being busy with the wrong things. Lord moment by moment, day by dad, I need Your help to choose what is best and to do what I ought to do. Please help me Lord. I cannot live for You without Your Spirit leading and empowering me. Help us to seek Your face and to be doers and not just hearers that we might be a blessing to You and our loved ones, as well as strangers you allow to cross our paths. Thank You Lord for this promise in Your Word, "for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure". *Philippians 2:13 In Jesus Name. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment