Napoleon Dynamite: “I don’t even have any good skills.
Pedro: What do you mean?
Napoleon Dynamite: You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.
So, do you ever think about what you are good at? Have you ever met
people that seem to excel at what appears to be EVERYTHING? Like they
always look gorgeous, have kept up homes, crochet, knit, bake, restore
furniture, keep well manicured finger nails, well dressed kids, have x
amount of businesses on the side etc. and all the while seem to have a
great relationship with their spouse and children and are well liked by
all. You get the picture right? I wonder to myself how in the world do
they do that? I am trying to just get dinner on the table! Yeah, I
sometimes find myself comparing, actually often times finding myself
comparing myself to others and then sinking and slouching the more I
think about how wonderful I think they are and how I don’t ever compare
to their awesomeness!
UNTIL (*light bulb goes off*) the Holy Spirit whispers truth, well
sometimes yells it, to be the louder voice, over the lies that fill my
mind because of insecurity and Satan’s fiery darts. The Holy Spirit
reminds me of God’s word that says, “Those who compare themselves, among
themselves are not wise” or “You are fearfully and wonderfully made”…”I
think about you more than the grains of sand that cover the earth”,
“You are the apple of my eye”..WOW! Really Lord, because right now I am
not feeling so hot! Especially, when I see (fill in name of person I’m
foolishly comparing myself to)..BUT, this is the thing, this thought
process is SO paralyzing..it keeps me from seeing the gifts, talents and
abilities the Lord has given me. It clouds my vision and robs me of the
joy of being content with who God made me. I have to admit that this is
pretty much a daily struggle for me, and I am still learning how to
respond to these thoughts with the proper attitude.. but I am not always
successful and it affects not only myself, but my loved ones.
Napolean Dynamite talks about having skills, well I don’t know what
skills you all have.. but I do know that the Lord made me, how He
wanted, with His purpose and plan in mind. If I would take my eyes off
of others and look to my Savior, Creator God to reveal to me why He made
me the way He made me and how the gifts He’s given me are good, then I
would stop obsessing over how much better others are than me. There are a
lot of things I love that I’ve had the privilege to do and to learn,
but have not mastered any one thing…nevertheless, the Lord has used it
all. One example, I play a few chords on guitar and because I was
faithful to keep practicing those chords and songs with those chords,
the Lord opened doors to be a part of Worship Ministry. That was never
even in option for me before, but God used that..God is so good to take
all we do and all we make the effort to do unto Him for His glory.
Can I encourage you, what do you like to do? What is your current
season of life? Whatever you are able to do now, consider how you can
use it for God’s glory! Let’s not give in to Satan’s lies and
discouragement and let us be joyful in the gifts that God has given us.
You were made uniquely, purposefully, masterfully, wonderfully to
glorify God, just as you are… I say this to myself too, daily we have to
speak truth to ourselves, but let’s do it, it’s worth it to know our
worth, value and hope is not in ourselves, but in Christ alone! May you
be blessed today above expectation, encouraged and strengthened. Until
next time…
I love this :) It's so true, and you aren't the only one that struggles! Trust me! We as women are so hard on ourselves. It's the image the world portrays, and not all of us have hundreds of skill sets. I love that no matter what we are "rock stars" to God.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you can relate and that you are encouraged! :) Helps to know we're not alone in our struggles and that God is able to help us day by day. Lots of love!
Delete