Monday, September 30, 2013

Being Uprooted




up·root
ˌəpˈro͞ot,-ˈro͝ot/
verb
past tense: uprooted; past participle: uprooted
  1. 1.
    pull (something, esp. a tree or plant) out of the ground.
    synonyms:pull up, root out, rip out; More



  2. 2.
    move (someone) from their home or a familiar location.
    synonyms:displace, expel, drive out, evict, deport More





    This word is a theme...in so many ways...physically over the last few months our family uprooted from Okinawa, Japan and traveled back to the States because our orders via the military were up and it was time for us to come back and get reestablished. We lived a bit of a nomadic lifestyle visiting family back 'n' forth and then stayed with my folks for a couple months until we finally got a place to live in Southern Calif. We have been here for about 2 months, but after 2 weeks of being here and just getting "settled" we were informed we would be separating from the military. Then as each week has passed there have been new changes, new "news" about another change that would be taking place. People talk about planting roots and staying put, but it seems like that hasn't been possible for us. At least not in this stage of our family's life. All the change, "uprooting" and unknowns can often times and easily breed anxiety and fear in me.

     I don't like not knowing where we are going, where we will live, what God's plan is for us and how it's all going to pan out...but the Lord is all knowing, and knows His plans for us from beginning to end. I feel powerless and unable to control what is happening. It's completely out of my control, but the Lord is all powerful and nothing is too hard for Him. 
    I wish I could physically be where God might be leading us, scout it out etc. But, time nor resources allow for that and the truth is we are still trying to figure it out...but the Lord is able to be in all places, for he isn't bound by time or space. 

    So in this time where so much is uncertain and uprooting seems to be a common theme, honestly the only place I can find my roots is in the Word of God. That's the only source of strength, stability, and security I have.

    In addition to physically being uprooted, deep in my heart there are issues, painful memories, "junk" that is in need of uprooting and finding residence elsewhere. These are the harder things to get rid of and I believe the Lord uses heat of trials to bring this dross to the surface. I've seen it time and again. Just when I thought I'd "dealt" with something, it comes up in some form or fashion and I have to come face to face with it all over again. So in this season there are things the Lord has been asking me to deal with, to allow Him to remove from me, to allow Him to heal me of so that I can flourish and be that beautiful tree, planted by the river of living water, bearing fruit and not withering away when the storms of life come. *Psalm 1


    He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. *Psalm 1:3


    In Sum...If you are in a place of the unknown, in limbo land or going through changes and you need somewhere to find a place to call home that will never change, can I urge you and myself to grab hold of God's Word.


    "His Word is a lamp unto our feet a light unto our path" *Psalm 119:105


    "His Word is a sure foundation"-And He will be the stability of your times, A wealth of salvation, wisdom and knowledge; The fear of the LORD is his treasure.*Isaiah 33:6


    "He is a Rock, Fortress, Deliverer, Ever present help in time of need"-The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. *Psalm 18:2



    " Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. 

    *Hebrews 13:8


    These are just a few promises in the storehouse of God's Holy Word! May we grab hold, stand fast, and trust Him, even when we are being uprooted!




No comments:

Post a Comment